Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Part 2~ Saving money and time

Ok here is Part 2 of my efforts of saving money and time. Which I am really enjoying!

Making your own Laundry Detergent!
It's easy and really cheap!

(Safe for HE Washers too.)

I used the recipe that "Great Oak Circle" had posted on her blog.

Here is a picture of the items I picked up to make this recipe.  All of these items you can pick up at places like Wal-mart and Winco


  • Borax
  •  baking soda (which I already had a large bag that I picked up at Costco one time)
  •  washing soda
  • 2 bars of Fels-Naptha bar soap 



Grate 4 cups Fels-Naptha bar soap (almost 2 bars) in a large bowl. This is the hardest step but a great arm workout!

 Now add:
6 cups Borax
4 cups baking soda
4 cups washing soda
Mix it up in a bowl really good. Here's what mine looked liked.

Then your done! The best part you only need 2 Tablespoons of this laundry detergent per load! Plus you know exactly what's in your detergent. Below is how much it made!


 This little jar which will make a bunch of loads, I gave as a little "just because" gift to a friend. This is so fun!

Oh and if you go visit "Great Oak Circle" you can print off these really cute labels!

Now wasn't that easy? Plus it smells SO good! So as you know I have two kiddos so guess what they were doing while I was doing all of this...?
Playing the wii, one of their dance games. This one was "Viva Las Vegas" lol. 


Ok onto the next one. 
Fabric Softener
I sadly can't remember where I found this recipe but here it is.


You will need:


1  Container of Name Brand Fabric Softener
4  Inexpensive sponges, cut in half
Pour entire container of softener into a 5 gallon bucket. Fill empty softener container with water twice. (2 parts water to 1 part softener) Add sponges to softener/water mixture. When ready to use wring out extra mixture from one sponge and add to the dryer as you would a dryer sheet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment