Thursday, June 17, 2010

I love you girls sooooo much I'm going to share with you one of my FAVORITE blogs...

So as I was taking a quick look at one of my favorite blogs (and I have many) I saw this idea she had of "Cut off Jeans" and it made me think of our MOPS mom, Mary. Last summer she taught some of you moms how to take the pants that your children either out grew or put holes in the knees (those boys you know) and turn them into shorts. How great right? Well for those of you who have little girls check out what Secrets of a Super Mommy did as well...

Cut Off Jean Shorts and a Fun Way to Use Up the leftover Legs!

My friend, Celeste, and I got together to make our little girlies some cute summer cut-offs with the hole-y jeans. We just made them the way I did the denim aprons, with a cute piece of ruffled fabric folded over and then sewn to the hemmed edge.

Here is a little tip though...use clear thread so you dont have to switch it out for each pair!

I think they turned out oh-so cute! And I am so happy to check the first unfinished project off my list! But before I cleaned up the jeans scraps the throw away, I noticed how cute the legs under the holes were and I thought I would attemp to make a little skirt with those, instead of throwing them away.

These shorts have a black and white polka dot ribbon wrapped in a strip of tulle and then sewn onto inside of the hem.  I always tuck little folds in as I sew instead of gathering it in a gathering stitch.
These shorts just have ribbon folded over and sewn to the bottoms.  I happened to have some ribbon that matched the flowers that were already on them!
These shorts are my favorite!  Celeste and I both made some like this for our girls. 
The Jean Leg Skirt!
 This is the Jean Leg Skirt!  I cut the legs of the jeans off below the holes and then I cut the seams of the jeans about 1/2 inch outside of the topstitched side.  That way the cute topstitching on the jeans still showed on the skirt after it was sewn together.  I also tried to alternate the washes light and dark.  The pink knit ribbing was purchased by the inch at Jo-Ann fabric.  This skirt is perfect for her to pull on with a swimsuit and wear to the pool!

3 comments:

  1. Mary Frances FulferJune 18, 2010 at 9:10 AM

    Those are such cute girl shorts! (Girl clothes really do win... :) So funny that you posted this because I have my sewing machine out again to turn a bunch of maternity pants into maternity shorts... to fit my new "Bakersfield lifestyle"... ha ha. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha! that's great Mary! Take some pictures so I can add to the blog!=)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree Mary....girl glothes definitely win. Don't think Mike will let me put that cute jean leg skirt on Owen! :) And yes...post pics....I have been debating on whether or not I should do that to my jeans soon!

    ReplyDelete