Tuesday, May 18, 2010

The Sock Exchange


I saw this article on The Lemon Tree Creations Blog and thought it was such a cute idea! You wouldn't have to incorporate all of it, just what would work in your laundry room. I know I struggle with keeping all those little socks together!

Let me ask you a more personal question. Do you have this problem at your house?

You know, the one where all of your socks go into the laundry with a mate, but come out alone? Okay, well what about this slightly more embarrassing problem??


Well, at my house, both of these unsightly situations have been a real bummer. Our poor laundry room had become home to every spare piece of unused junk, the dogs crate, golf clubs or just about anything you could name. As the laundry continued to pile up and more and more socks found their way into no-mans land, I decided it was time to come up with a solution. And so was created, "the sock exchange."



Many years ago while one vacation in North Carolina, my husband and I saw something similar to solve the lost sock problem. Each little clip had a cut out of a sock decorated differently on it. I loved the idea, but wasn't about to pay $50.00 for it. So, with a 2x4, some left over paint and clothes pins, I just made my own.


First, I painted the 2x4 with one of my favorite Martha Stewart colors, anjou pear. Then I used regular old acrylic paint to "distress" the wood.


Next, I added the word's I wanted using Erin's transfer technique that she shared for her $1 Welcome sign, here. It worked quickly and beautifully, and I have to say I was pleased with how clear the results were!




Once I painted the words on with black acrylic paint, I simply hot glued updated clothespins (numbered and painted with acrylic paint) to the end of my 2x4.



I was very pleased with the end result, which I mounted above my washer and dryer. It serves to purposes; manages those pesky socks AND covers the ugly wire shelf that holds my laundry baskets.


Now, I have a lot more fun in my laundry room. We can finally use the back door again and fold clothes in there. I realize its not overly stylish like the gorgeous ones I have seen around lately, but it does what I need it too finally! One day I am going to force my husband into helping me paint it!

1 comment:

  1. Mary Frances FulferJune 18, 2010 at 9:14 AM

    What a cute idea! Much better than my solution of shoving them in the laundry room cabinet...:)

    ReplyDelete