Thursday, December 8, 2011

Countdown to Christmas with Books!


Anything I can do to get my kids even more excited about books and reading has my vote! So the last post, I talked about how I found on another blog this great idea of wrapping Christmas books and having the kids take turns opening each night to read. So I went through my kiddos books while they were sleeping and took out all of the Christmas ones. We actually had quite a few! The next day I went to the Goodwill on Rosedale that just sells the books. For $10 and some change I found ALL these great Christmas books! Don't worry there are still plenty if you need some.


So I wrapped them all up and as I was wrapping them I thought I would share with you some of the Christmas stories (new and old) we cherish. You can start this ANY time. Do a countdown to Christmas with however many books you have and then add to your collection. 12 Days of Christmas or 15 I guarantee whatever you choose will be special




If you know anything about me I just love "old" stuff, especially books! I like to refer to as vintage. I have them all in my house as decoration etc...There's just something so special about vintage items, so many stories, such a simplier time. So a special couple I know that recently were going through old boxes and new of my love for old books let me choose as many as I wanted! I picked out quite a few but somehow I was drawn to the Christmas ones. Now I know why, they would go perfectly with my countdown to Christmas books!
1943!!!!! 
We read this one the other night and got some great ideas and my kids loved it!
I Love when they are written in too. This one is from 1953.





 So here's a beautiful book I picked up from the Goodwill... .95 cents!

 
I just LOVE the graphics!

This is one from my kids' collection which is so sweet 
This is another Beautiful book!!


This is a book my mom (Mema) bought Hunter when he was born. It's not necessarily a "Christmas Book" but it talks about the gifts God gives us so I think it fits perfectly considering we celebrate the birth of Jesus!




 This is the beautiful book that our own Leta Rhodes wrote! It's a favorite!

 Goodwill book
  Goodwill book
  Goodwill book
  Goodwill book
  Goodwill book

This is another great one! Filled with scripture.


So each of the books are in order and wrapped up in a bucket under our tree. On Christmas Eve when we return from Nana & Papa's House we will all get in our pjs, get our hot cocoa and santa hats and sit on the couch together as a family as Daddy  reads The Night Before Chrsistmas.



We also read the Christmas Story. This year I think we are going to read it before we open presents!
So we don't forget what Christmas is about.

No comments:

Post a Comment